Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Computer Support - Adventure (Rated PG)

Computer Support - Adventure (Rated PG) So today, among other things, brought an unusual challenge. A system that appeared to go to some weird freeze state. This one was a little different from others in the past. The monitor would go off and could not be turned back on until the computer was powered down and then restarted. They must be out there but I've never seen a computer desktop and the monitor go off when it did. They normally just freeze or blue screen. The system wouldn't do it in safe mode though but only in normal operation with no real way to force the computer lock-up. This was a computer support nightmare since problems are better when you can re-produce them and when they are more common. At first I started carefully looking for the magic bullet then broke out the elephant gun. I pulled my old trick out of the bad and removed all that I could from device manager and restarted the PC. Plug and play kicked in and all devices came back. The maneuver seemed to have workled but only time will tell. It desktop lasted about 40 minutes without a freeze. I couldn't do much more at that time.

No comments: